New York Mets starting pitcher Jacob deGrom will be shut down another two weeks because of inflammation in his throwing elbow. The Mets starting pitcher flew to Los Angeles to get his MRI read by doctors. The MRI showed some improvement, but not enough to start pitching again.
“It’s slightly improving, but it’s going to be two more weeks, no throwing,” Rojas said in a Zoom session with reporters. “Then we’ll see further imaging after two weeks.”
So far, deGrom has missed a month in the season. When deGrom was healthy, he pitched outstandingly; he posted a 7-2 record with a 1.08 ERA. deGrom also struck out 146 batted in 92 innings pitched; he was well on his way to this third Cy Young be for the elbow injury. Mets manager Luis Rojas said deGrom is frustrated because he can not help his team.
“He’s frustrated. He wants to pitch,” Rojas said Friday before the Mets played host to the Dodgers in the opener of a huge series at Citi Field. “He wants to help the team. There’s nothing he can do. We just have to commit to these two weeks again now and just follow the experts’ indications and the treatment, so he keeps improving there. There is some improvement, but they would like to see more, probably. That’s why the two weeks.”
Jacob deGrom came up with the Mets in 2014 and took home the National League Rookie of the Year honors; he also is a four-time All-star and two-time NL Cy Young award winner. In 2018 and 2019, deGrom lead the NL in strikeouts. When healthy, deGrom is the best pitcher in baseball. If he can get healthy in the next two weeks, the Mets will have an ace that could lead them to the playoffs. Hopefully, deGrom can come back and pitch again this year; baseball needs him.
Check out our shop!
Follow us on Twitter!
Follow us on Instagram!
Like us on Facebook!
Subscribe to us on Youtube!